What information we collect from you
We receive and store any information you enter on our Website or give us in any other way. This includes information that can be used to identify you as an individual or to contact you directly (“personal information“).
Personal information includes information you provide us such as your first and last name, telephone number, postal and email addresses, user name and password, and billing information (such as your credit card number, cardholder name, and card expiration date). We may also request information about your travel plans, style, and preferences, including meal requests, seat selection, frequent flyer/hotel/car rental program information, and flight class, luggage, and ticketing options.
You can choose not to provide this personal information to us, but in general some information about you is required in order for you to receive relevant offerings from TripAdvisor and its partners and enjoy other benefits of being a registered member. For example, only registered members are able to post travel reviews, participate in discussion forums, email TripAdvisor content to themselves and others, access members-only newsletters and travel planning content, and enter surveys, contests, or sweepstakes. In addition, some information is also required in order for you to ask us a question or initiate other transactions on our site.
Other information we may choose to collect may also include details such as your IP address, information identifying your device, and website browsing history to the extent that information is about you.
Information About Others.
You will have the opportunity to provide contact and travel-related information for other people through our Website. If you make a reservation for someone else through TripAdvisor, you will need to submit that individual’s personal information. You must obtain the consent of other individuals prior to providing us with their personal information, as any access to view or modify their information will be available only through your account.
Information from Other Sources.
We have partnered with Facebook to provide personalized content on TripAdvisor for members of Facebook. If you are logged into Facebook and TripAdvisor, TripAdvisor will be personalized for you when you visit the Website, even if you are a first-time user of TripAdvisor’s Website. For example, we will show you reviews that your Facebook friends have posted on TripAdvisor and places they have visited. In order to provide you with this personalized experience, Facebook provides us with information that you have chosen to make available pursuant to your Facebook privacy settings. That information may include your name, profile picture, gender, friend lists and any other information you have chosen to make available.
If you decide to turn off personalization, you can do so by first logging into Facebook and (1) selecting “Edit your profile” from the “Your TripAdvisor” drop-down menu on the Member Profile page and clicking “Disconnect” in the Facebook Connect status box, or (2) selecting “Connected accounts” from the “Your TripAdvisor” drop-down menu on the Member Profile page and clicking “Disconnect” under “Facebook Settings.” You can also turn off personalization by editing your app settings on Facebook. Please note that if you have Facebook friends who are using TripAdvisor, they may also have shared information about you with us through Facebook. If you wish to prevent that sharing, you can do so by editing your Facebook privacy settings.
Automatic Collection of Information.
We automatically collect some information from your computer or Device when you visit TripAdvisor. For example, we will collect session data, including your IP address, Web browser software, and referring website. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as content viewed, pages visited, and searches and/or reservations facilitated or made. One of our goals in collecting this automatic information is to help us understand the interests and preferences of our users and customize your user experience.
If you make travel reservations with third-party suppliers facilitated by TripAdvisor, we will collect payment information from you, including your credit card number, cardholder name, expiration date, authentication code, and billing address. We will securely transmit this information to the supplier of the travel reservation to complete the transaction. Please note that the supplier processes your payment, not TripAdvisor, unless otherwise specified. You agree to review and be bound by the supplier’s policies and procedures before making a reservation through TripAdvisor. We may offer members the option to save information related to method and choice of payment on our Website. If you save such payment details on TripAdvisor, you will be able to add, delete, or modify that information at any time in Account Settings.
Location Information and Other Information from Devices.
When you use an Application on a Device, we will collect and use information about you in generally similar ways and for similar purposes as when you use the TripAdvisor website. In addition, we may collect information about your location if you have instructed your Device to send such information to the Application via the privacy settings on that Device, or if you have uploaded photos tagged with location information. We may use the location information collected from your Device or photos to enhance your use of the Application by providing you with relevant content and contextual advertising. For example, we may use your location to show you reviews of hotels or restaurants near you when you are traveling. You can change the privacy settings of your Device at any time, in order to turn off the functionality to share location information with the Application and/or the functionality to tag your photos with location information. Please note that turning off location sharing may affect certain features of our App. If you have any queries about the privacy settings of your Device, we suggest you contact the manufacturer of your Device or your mobile service provider for help.
Cookies and Other Web Technologies.
We collect information via cookies and other similar technologies (such as web beacons). Cookies are small text files that are automatically placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit almost any website. They are stored by your Internet browser. Cookies contain basic information about your Internet use. Your browser sends these cookies back to the site every time you revisit it, so it can recognize your computer or mobile device and personalize and improve your site experience.
You can also find out more about cookies generally, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them at websites such as www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu
- • To help us customize the content, experience, and advertisements provided to you on our websites and Apps and on other websites across the Internet. For example, when you access a web page, a cookie is automatically set by us, our service providers, or our partners to recognize your browser as you navigate on the Internet and to present you with information and advertising based on your apparent interests. SeeDisplay of Advertising/Your Choices for more information about our online advertising practices and your choices.
- • To help measure and research the effectiveness of features and offerings, advertisements, and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon).
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers should tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable non-essential types of cookies. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to access many of the travel tools offered on our sites.
Our sites also may use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, and to improve site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on our site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
Display of Advertising/Your Choices.
Data collected to serve you with relevant advertising
TripAdvisor is committed to providing you with relevant content and information across our sites.
To do this, we may collect information about your travel-related searches and other site activities, such as whether you are looking for airline flights or hotels, and use this information to serve you with ads on our sites or elsewhere online that match your interests. So, for example, if you search for a flight to Florida on TripAdvisor, you may see an ad for a Florida travel package on TripAdvisor or on another website you visit.
We only share your personal contact information (such as email addresses) with affiliated third parties so they can serve you with advertisements. You can choose not to receive relevant online advertising on other websites, based on your travel-related searches on TripAdvisor by clicking here. Note that if you choose not to receive tailored ads, you will see online advertisements, but they will be more general and less relevant to you. Information on our policy in relation to email contact with you is set out below.
Data collected by business partners and ad networks to serve you with relevant advertising
Many of the advertisements you see on the TripAdvisor family of sites are served by TripAdvisor or its service providers. But we also allow third parties to collect information about your online activities through cookies and other technologies. These third parties include (1) business partners, who collect information when you view or interact with one of their advertisements on our sites, and (2) advertising networks, who collect information about your interests when you view or interact with one of the advertisements they place on many different websites on the Internet. The information gathered by these third parties is used to make predictions about your characteristics, interests or preferences and to display advertisements on our sites and across the Internet tailored to your interests.
Response to Do Not Track signals
Your web browser may transmit a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) signal to TripAdvisor and other websites. Because of differences in web browsers’ default settings and the manner in which browsers incorporate DNT signals, it is sometimes unclear to site operators whether site visitors have selected the DNT setting themselves, or whether they are aware that they have a choice in determining the setting. TripAdvisor does not currently respond to DNT signals. Once the Internet industry has settled on standards related to this issue and TripAdvisor recognizes such standards, we may reevaluate this approach. At the present time, our policy in relation to cookies in particular is set out below under “Cookies and Other Web Technologies”.
How we use your information
TripAdvisor uses the information we collect about you for the following general purposes:
- for registration and to manage your account, including to allow your access to and use of our site;
- to communicate with you in general, including to provide information about TripAdvisor and invitations from the TripAdvisor community;
- to enable us to publish your reviews, forum posts, and other content to the TripAdvisor community;
- to facilitate your booking of travel reservations;
- to respond to your questions and comments;
- to measure interest in and improve our products, services, and Website;
- to notify you about special offers and products or services available from us or our partners that may be of interest to you in accordance with your marketing preferences;
- to otherwise customize your experience with TripAdvisor, including customizing the ads shown to you;
- to solicit information from you, including through surveys;
- to resolve disputes or troubleshoot problems;
- to prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- as otherwise described to you at the point of collection.
If you have signed up as the owner or manager of a vacation rental, or listed your vacation rental property, we will send you email messages at the email address you provide to us.
We want to make it easy for you to take advantage of travel-related opportunities on our Website. One way we do this is by sending you email messages that contain information about your travel-related interests in accordance with your marketing preferences. For example, if your marketing preference is to receive email marketing messages, then if you search for a flight to New York on our website, we may send you an email message about airfares and travel to New York or other destinations. We believe these email messages will provide you with useful information about travel-related special offers available through our sites. Please note that you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive these email messages in any such email we send.
Please review “Your rights and choices with respect to the collection and use of your information” section below for more information.
With whom we share your information
TripAdvisor may share your information with the following entities:
- • Third-party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf, including business analytics, payment processing, customer service, marketing, public relations, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, and fraud prevention. We may also authorize third-party vendors to collect information on our behalf, including, for example, as necessary to operate features of our Website or to facilitate the delivery of online advertising tailored to your interests. Third-party vendors have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
- • Business partners with whom we may offer products or services in conjunction. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear either with ours or separately. If you choose to access these optional services, we may share information about you, including your personal information, with those partners. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party business partners.
- • Affiliated Websites. If you were referred to TripAdvisor from another website, we may share your registration information, such as your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number and travel preferences, about you with that referring website. We have not placed limitations on the referring websites’ use of personal information and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any website that referred you to TripAdvisor.
We also may share your information if we believe, in our sole discretion, that such disclosure is necessary…
- to comply with legitimate and enforceable subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us;
- in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
If you choose to create a profile on TripAdvisor, certain information in your profile will be publicly viewable and identifiable by clicking your screen name. You will have the ability to view your profile as members of the public will see it. Additionally, if you choose to participate in our member-to-member communications programs (e.g. traveler networks and private messaging), other TripAdvisor members may contact you by using TripAdvisor as an intermediary; however, TripAdvisor will not share your email address with any other members nor display it any public manner. All TripAdvisor members have the option to turn off the member-to-member communication features at any time.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information.
We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors our Website receives or the most popular hotels and vacation destinations. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
How Long We Keep Your Information for
We may retain certain information associated with your account in our archives, including for analytical purposes as well as for recordkeeping integrity. The periods for which we retain your information depend on the purpose for which we collected it and we use it.
We will not retain your personal information for longer than is necessary for our business purposes or for legal requirements. We may retain some information for a period of time after you have closed your account with us, for instance if this is necessary to meet our legal obligations or to exercise, defend or establish legal rights.
Your rights and choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
- You can choose not to provide us with your personal information, although it may be needed to take advantage of certain features offered on TripAdvisor.
- You have the right to ask us what personal information we hold about you by contacting us at the address below (see “Contact Us”), and we may charge a small fee for providing you with this information.
- We endeavor to ensure that your personal information is relevant to its intended use, accurate, and complete. You can also review, add or update the information you have provided to us by visiting your subscriptions page on our Website.
- You also can add or update information and close your account as described above. If you decide to close your TripAdvisor account, we will deactivate your account and remove your profile information from active view.
- You can close your TripAdvisor account by contacting us using this form. We will send you an email to confirm your request. Please note that after you close an account, you will not be able to sign in or access any of your personal information. However, you can open a new account at any time.
- When you register as a member of TripAdvisor.co.uk you will have the opportunity to provide us with your marketing preferences, and will be given a choice as to whether you want to receive email marketing messages from TripAdvisor.co.uk. As a registered TripAdvisor.co.uk member, you can modify your choices at any time through the Email Settings of your subscriptions page.
- Whether registered as a TripAdvisor member or not, you also will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from promotional messages in any such email we send.
- Please note that we may send you other communications, including service announcements, and administrative messages relating to your TripAdvisor account.
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies from TripAdvisor, you will not be able to access portions of our site.
How we protect your information
We want you to feel confident about using TripAdvisor, and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no website can guarantee security, we have implemented and maintain appropriate physical, administrative, technical, and organisational measures to protect the personal information you provide us against unauthorized or unlawful access, use of disclosure, and against accidental loss, damage, alteration or destruction. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they only may do so for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption when transmitting your personal information between your system and ours, and between our system and those of the parties with whom we share sensitive information, and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your information.
TripAdvisor is a general audience site and does not offer services directed to children. Should an individual whom we know to be a child under age 13 send personal information to us, we will delete or destroy such information as soon as reasonably possible.
If you are visiting our Website from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country, but] please be assured that TripAdvisor does take steps pursuant to laws in the United States to ensure that your privacy is protected.
How you can contact us
7 Soho Square
Attn: Privacy Officer/Legal Department
Call Recording and Monitoring.